Opportunity Zones & Special Initiatives Manager
The Opportunity Zones & Special Initiatives Manager’s (“OZSIM”) primary responsibility is connecting qualified investors in Federal Opportunity Zones to place-based initiatives, development projects, and businesses seeking investment capital located in City of Atlanta Federal Opportunity Zones (“OppZones”). The OZSIM will be responsible for sustaining strategic partnerships, managing consultant relationships, and seeking out investment and funding opportunities that can be leveraged with existing programs and resources to support economic prosperity among Atlanta residents, businesses, and communities within OppZones.
Ongoing, successive responsibilities will include leveraging Invest Atlanta’s full platform of resources and services to identify and pursue opportunities for workforce housing, affordable retail space, commercial corridor investment, and improved access to services and amenities within areas targeted for investment and revitalization.
The OZSIM will report directly to the Vice President of Planning and Strategic Initiatives (“VPSI”).
- Develop, refine, and execute a marketing and business development strategy that supports OppZones development projects, business investment, and lead generation;
- Develop tailored value propositions for targeted OppZones investors connecting lead generation activities;
- Plan relevant local events for target OppZones audiences;
- Handling of investor inquiries and connecting an investor to the correct person or information source;
- Responsible for ensuring the successful planning and execution of investor site visits (i.e., airport pick-ups, tours of available facilities, meetings with targeted business, etc.);
- Work extensively with stakeholders, public and private partners, and business organizations, to strategically identify and coordinate investments in various OppZones neighborhoods and other targeted investment areas.
- Collecting, analyzing, and compiling economic, market, and demographic data relevant to OppZones for dissemination;
- Managing and providing support including ongoing OppZones education and coaching to Invest Atlanta staff, in addition to the broader private sector business development stakeholders and public officials;
- Developing clear and measurable goals and objectives for Invest Atlanta’s activities within OppZones;
- Developing and maintaining professional relationships with local, regional, and national economic development entities and officials with OppZones interests;
- Facilitate application submission and support Invest Atlanta’s review process for funding requests connected to OppZones investments;
- Work closely with Investment Services to identify potential investors and additional funding opportunities that may benefit various development and business investments within OppZones and other areas targeted for investment and revitalization;
- Evaluate potential projects and business investments, including project readiness and feasibility, economic and community impact, and consistency with redevelopment and commercial corridor plans;
- Refining and managing a customer relationship management (CRM) system to monitor inquiries, requests, information provision, lead potential, and investment status;
- Coordinate and manage follow up and outreach by Invest Atlanta’s Economic Development and Community Development staffs to project and investment leads generated and identified at events and through other channels (e.g., website, personal networks, advertising, etc.);
- Work directly with internal and external parties to successfully close transactions, including but not limited to, development of and adherence to closing schedule, negotiation of deal points, review and critique of governing loan/grant documents and collection of due diligence;
- Support the VPSI with outreach, reports and presentation for board of directors, stakeholders, city council, funders, etc.
- Coordinate planning and implementation activities with Invest Atlanta departments, government entities, consultants, and stakeholders to efficiently and effectively advance revitalization efforts in neighborhoods located within OppZones as well as other areas targeted for investment and revitalization.
- Oversee the identification and implementation of specific Invest Atlanta sponsored planning activities within OppZones, including Livable Centers Initiatives, corridor studies, small area plans, and neighborhood plans.
- Facilitate the permitting/licensing process and assist with land use and zoning restrictions for development projects.
- Organize outreach (tours) for key stakeholders to build greater support and investor interest within OppZones and other areas targeted for investment and revitalization.
EDUCATION & EXPERIENCE
- M.A., M.B.A., J.D., or L.L.M., preferred; B.A. or B.S. from an accredited college or university with a major in business administration, public administration, urban planning, real estate finance, public administration, economics or related field, with minimum five (5) years of progressively responsible work experience in real estate, finance, business investments, community development, economic development.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND ABILITIES
- Proficiency in cultivating public private partnerships;
- Excellent communication, interpersonal and presentation skills; ability to cultivate and maintain effective relationships with government, business, political, and community leaders;
- Proven ability to work effectively with a diverse group of individuals from various racial, cultural, ethnic backgrounds
- Ability to manage a high workload, multiple projects, and competing priorities.
- Strong attention to detail, excellent organizational skills, and an ability to work well under pressure.
- High ethical standards and values.
- Knowledge of local, state and national policies, issues and best practices regarding community re-development and economic development;
- Ability to gather, analyze and synthesize data;
- Strong computer skills; demonstrated proficiency in Microsoft Word, Excel, Power Point, Outlook and other software programs.
Resumes should be submitted to email@example.com.
Invest Atlanta is an Equal Opportunity Employer. All qualified applicants, including but not limited to minorities, females, disabled and veterans are encouraged to apply.