Created in 1992 by the City of Atlanta, Fulton County and the Atlanta School Board, the Westside TAD is located in the center of the city of Atlanta and includes the western portion of the central business district (“Downtown”) and adjacent neighborhoods to the west. As the City of Atlanta’s redevelopment agent, Invest Atlanta is responsible for promoting positive development within the Westside TAD and administering the TAD financing process.
The Westside TAD is highly accessible, served by multiple MARTA stations, three interstate highways, and the Atlanta Streetcar. The area of the TAD within Downtown is characterized by high-density commercial development and is home to the Georgia World Congress Center, Phillips Arena, the Georgia Dome which will be replaced by the new Mercedes-Benz Stadium and Centennial Olympic Park and its surrounding tourism and entertainment facilities.
The neighborhoods of Vine City and English Avenue to the west are historic single family communities which have experienced disinvestment and population decline over the past several decades. Westside TAD investments focus on these neighborhoods to improve quality of life for residents in these communities and encourage a more equitable redevelopment future.
Westside TAD Development Objectives
Nurture a vibrant and connected Downtown by:
- Enhancing Downtown tourism and building an entertainment core
- Retaining and creating jobs
- Supporting a vibrant office and retail core, including neighborhood retail for residents
- Supporting new housing for a mix of income levels
- Linking assets via transportation/pedestrian improvements
Reduce socio-economic distress in surrounding neighborhoods by:
- Providing community amenities for low-income residents
- Reducing the high crime and poverty rates
- Reducing the high housing vacancy rate and redeveloping dilapidated housing stock
Apply for Westside TAD Funding
Invest Atlanta intends to utilize available Westside TAD tax increment to provide gap financing for real estate and community development projects in the Westside TAD. Invest Atlanta invites qualified developers, property owners, business owners and community development organizations seeking to develop catalytic real estate projects and/or improve eligible property within the Westside TAD to apply for grant funding from one of three primary programs:
- Ascension Fund Grant, Resurgens Fund Grant, Downtown Façade Improvement Grant (Download Application)
Please click here to find the Westside TAD Program Guidelines.
NOTE: Due to the volume of current and pipeline projects and funding availability, as of October 17, 2017 we will no longer be accepting Westside TAD Community Improvement Fund applications until further notice.
Community Builders Program
Community Builders was created in response to growing interest among many residents, business owners and service providers in the Westside neighborhoods of English Avenue, Vine City and portions of Castleberry Hill, to learn how to redevelop vacant, abandoned and blighted commercial and multi-family properties. Community Builders will train Westside stakeholders in core property redevelopment skills. Participants of the program will be selected by the program’s managing team at Invest Atlanta. Participants who complete the program successfully will be eligible to apply to Invest Atlanta for funding assistance to support their redevelopment project.
- Community Builders (Download Application)
Additional information regarding the goals of the Westside TAD can be found in the Westside TAD Redevelopment Plan. Data on district financial performance, including tax increment collections, can be found in the annual audited financial statements:
- Westside TAD Financial Statements and Supplementary Information 2012
- Westside TAD Financial Statements and Supplementary Information 2011
- Westside TAD Financial Statements and Supplementary Information 2010
- Westside TAD Financial Statements and Supplementary Information 2009
- Westside TAD Financial Statements and Supplementary Information 2008